Saturday, January 10, 2009

P.R.I.D.E.

One of the steps required for me to foster parent and adopt through West Virginia’s foster care system is attending their P.R.I.D.E. pre-service training program. It occurred to me that many of you reading my blog probably may have had nothing to do with the state’s requirements for working with children in the system so thought it might help a little if I explained some what this next step is I’m getting ready to start on.

P.R.I.D.E. stands for Parent Resources for Information, Development, Education. It is a competency-based program consisting of 10 three-hour sessions, and covers topics ranging from attachment issues, loss issues, discipline, effects of abuse and neglect, sexual abuse, and the effects of fostering and adopting on the family. It is taught through a co-trainer model that consists of an agency trainer and a foster or adoptive parent trainer and is designed to train prospective foster and adoptive parents together.

My first session is scheduled for this coming Thursday; January 15th from 6-9pm at the Beckley DHHR office. The only thing I know we’re definitely doing is getting fingerprints taken and presenting picture ID to begin background checks because the letter specifically stated it. Other than that, and probably a lot of listening and note-taking, I simply won’t know until it happens, but I’ll keep ya posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment