Monday, December 22, 2008

It's here! I've begun my adoption journey!

(Originally posted November 7, 2008)

Yesterday felt pretty amazing for me! It was the beginning of fulfilling a dream I have had since high school; a dream of someday being called “Mommy!” I made the comment several years back that if I was still single, and with no prospects of a longterm relationship, when I turned 35 that I was going to begin the adoption process. Well, I turn 35 next month, and with the unpredictability of the rheumatoid arthritis, I decided to make it basically now or possibly living with the regret that it may never happen if I put it off any longer.

I went online and filled out the inquiry form for AdoptUSKids yesterday afternoon and received a phone call back last night from a lady here in West Virginia who is part of their Recruitment Response Team. Their focus is working with children in foster care who are currently waiting for adoption. We talked for several minutes as she confirmed my desire for adoption and my contact information along with my preference for a daughter between the ages of preschool to 2nd or 3rd grade. The next steps are receiving more information in the mail within the next few days, being recontacted in a couple weeks after I’ve had time to review the information and come up with any questions I may have, and then beginning their PRIDE training course and completing a homestudy.

I am both so nervous and so excited at the same time. I viewed several childrens profiles that they had listed and there are so many, it’s sad. It was also exciting looking at their faces and knowing that “my child” might be one of them! Their stories and personalities are so varied and their futures so full of hope and promise! I want to be able to love one of them and help them see their dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment